Monday, April 30, 2012

National Chess

This is a new change in plans for my upcoming tournament schedule that I am very excited about.

For a while, me and my parents have been hoping to go to the 2012 Elementary Nationals in Nashville, TN.

We had to drop that dream because of financial difficulties. I was slightly upset, knowing that being in 6th grade, this would be the last year I could compete. But recently, I got an amazing present from my grandma Posthuma. Being aware of me wanting to go to the tournament, but knowing about our financial difficulties, she gave me and our family a great blessing: She donated money. She gave us a check to help pay for the expense of the tournament. It covered over half of our total costs, and made the trip possible. Sadly, we had to cancel our trip to the Great Lakes Open, but I am more excited about this tournament than Great Lakes.

I will be leaving at noon on Thursday, May 10, after our half day of school, to drive out 9 hours to a hotel close to the tournament site that is cheaper than at the actual tournament. We sleep there for the night so that we do not have to drive through the night, and head off to the tournament the next morning. Over the weekend, I will play 7 rounds in the tournament. Then we head back to the inexpensive hotel for the night, heading back the next morning.

I am definitely excited about this opportunity, and will no doubt have a post or two with all of my games when I am done.

For this tournament, since it will be the biggest thing I have done yet in my life, I need to play my top game, and apply all that I have learned, properly, and continuously. I must get a good amount of rest each day and before rounds, and will likely be exausted going into the following week, but it will be worth it.

Lastly, I recently learned that mt friend Izaac Zylstra has started a blog also! You can find it here, or on the westmichiganchess.com page.

No comments:

Post a Comment